Wednesday 18 July 2012

The Sedlec Ossuary

Spurning an orgonised (and probably very interesting) tour to Kutna Hora, its several churches, and its silver mining history, I went by myself and went straight to the main sights: the Sedlec Ossuary. The city is reachable by an hour-long train trip, and the ossuary itself is maybe 15 minutes away from the station -all well-indicated, and anyway, following the other tourists is efficient.

It is an underground chapel where the bones of thousands of people are stacked, some of which are arranged in very elegant decorations, including a wold-famous chandelier. Some bones are covered in dust and cobwebs, and some, part of a candle-stand, are covered in wax. The chapel is quite small, and I think I was lucky that there weren't that many people.




It is overall impressive, and I don't regret taking the time to see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment