Monday 23 July 2012

Copenhagen

This time, my travel time was longer: 8h30 hours and 3 connections later, Berlin was left behind in favor of Copenhagen.

Finding my way with a badly-printed map is slightly difficult, but knowing that the hostel was nearby, I persevered. The Tivoli Gardens, with their permanent fair -which reminded me of Vienna- are right in front of the train station, with is unsettling; but finaly, I made my way relatively straightaway to my hostel.

It is a bit shocking to find that every little service is charged, from sheets to internet; at least, I got a free map of the city. And after making my bed, I went out to try and take in as much of the city as I can.

There is a tour marked on the map, with the main sights of the capital. I started in front of the Town Hall, where some strange (American) Indian band with flutes and feathers were strating a show.

I got side-tracked on Ofelia Beach where a sand sculture festival is set for the Summer: as indicated, sand scultures from international artists are displayed on the artificial beach for the perusal of (paying) passers-by. The cafe had an interesting cider, with blueberry, which is intirely drinkable.



Leaving the sand behind, I continued my walk toward the Mermaid, waiting by the sea; I was far from being the only one seeking a picture. The lateness of the hour, however, afforded me a treasonable waiting time to have her by myself -at least on the pictures.



A walnut ice-cream later, I was starting the loop back to the hostel, crossing the Citadel, where grassy Vauban-shaped walks with old canons are the only reminders of the fortifications. In the courtyard, there are the modern buildings, but also a clever memorial for the Danes fallen in conflicts and the ones left behind. 


And having taken nearly 3 hours to walk and wander that far, I cheated and took a 10-min busride back to the hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment