Friday 13 July 2012

The joys of mixed dormitories

One of the cheapest way to travel is to stay in hostels, whose cheapest beds are usually in mixed dormitories. Traveling for three weeks, it's the choice I've made.

I've been lucky so far, with individual shower rooms mostly. But this time, I've lucked out. There are two shower stalls opening directly in the room, the same room one has to access to go to the toilets. Of the two showers, one is nearby a heater (a convenient shelf) and hooks. The other has no near means to hang clothes or towel.

Guess which one has the cold water?

Yesterday, when I finally came to the conclusion that getting the hot water was beyond my means, the bathroom was empty, allowing me to discreetly change stall. This morning however, while I was laying out my bottles, one of my male roommate chose this moment to enter the bathroom -scantily clad is the approved way of describing his clothing, I think- and sporting a morning wood (people under 18, please don't go and try to find the correct translation to that expression). Embarrassed, I went into the stall nearest my clothes, hoping that he would leave quickly; however, it became apparent that the lack of towel didn't stop him from taking the other shower, leaving me confronted to cold water. Moreover, more roommates made their entrance heard, which condemned me to that famous cold shower I was so hoping to avoid.

It's... bracing.

1 comment: