Thursday 12 April 2012

Itching feet

It began with an itching, starting small, growing strong: that's when I knew that my wanderlust was back, stronger than I had felt it in a long while.

The project could have started small, but it was too late for that. If going to Vienna in December wasn't enough to assuage it, then travelling a few days wasn't going to be enough.

I looked around, had a few troubled and excited thoughts, and the project coalesced into crossing Europe in train from South to North. I would have liked to start in Istanbul, but pragmatic considerations have placed my starting point in Sofia, Bulgaria.

And from Sofia, the train will take me to Copenhague, Denmark, in three weeks. Three marvellous, probably sweaty and gruelling weeks taling me to thoses places I have dreamt of seeing for an eternity.

In July, I turn thirty. And my way to celebrate is to leave the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment